Thursday, June 18, 2015

FEMALE EMPOWERMENT




The week in Kolkata at Shri Shikshiyatan School is winding down. What a wonderful and unforgettable experience. In my AP Human Geography class this year we’ve been learning about the struggles India faces with such a large population and the key role female education plays in dealing with the problem of overpopulation. Shri Shikshiyatan has clearly gotten that message. Older girls take a leadership role in leading the morning assembly, monitoring uniforms, teaching street children, and giving speeches on women’s empowerment. Teachers chose the topic of women’s empowerment for the last issue of the school newspaper and expressed very strong opinions about the role of women in society as we analyzed Sojourner Truth’s speech, Ain’t I A Woman, in a professional development session I led on the Paideia Seminar.

Lastly, I just wanted to show some pictures of student notebooks, because they’re so beautifully done. I’m also including a wonderful lunch that the cooking club made us and a picture of a very sweet girl whose mother made me a delicious snack. I was asking her advice on food to eat in Kolkata, which prompted her to bring in her mother’s food.

Off to Delhi on Saturday! I’ll miss all the girls and teachers at Shri Shikshiyatan School. What a wonderful community!

Morning Assembly

Professional Development Session with Teachers

All the tools needed for beautiful writing!

Student notebooks



Her Mom made me yummy snacks!

The cooking club made us lunch!

1 comment:

  1. I love that you were able to use the "Ain't I a Woman?" speech! Did the students get into it? I'd be curious to know how much context building the students needed before jumping in.

    ReplyDelete